Posted to rec.food.cooking
Don Martinich Don Martinich is offline

Default Lamb Bacon

In article >,
RegForte > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > This was my cure project for the week.
> >
> > Cured lamb breasts for bacon. A couple of them were cured with
> > sage, garlic, and black pepper, the other with long pepper and
> > allspice. Cured for 6 days, rinsed, dried, then lightly smoked over
> > cherry wood for 2 hours at 200F.

snip-
> > Next up: Lamb pancetta.

> This looks spectacular.
>
> When I've done cured lamb, I had a good time trying
> to mix it in with other ingredients. If you do it
> right, not all dishes have to be a lamb-dominated dish
> per se. I've used lamb bacon in wilted salads that came out
> really nice. Also some stews. Other times the lamb did
> dominate too much. The results were often surprising and
> the fun part was experimenting.

Cured and smoked lamb, kid, goat, and mutton are all called kastradina
(despite their obvious differences) in the lands along the Eastern
Adriatic. It is used a lot in soups with cabbage, kale, beans and/or
potatoes. I like to smoke lamb shanks which braise well and can also
give soups and stews good body. The Croatian word for bacon (at least in
Dalmatia) is 'panceta' whether it is smoked or not. The rib photos look
so good I think I will give them another chance in the form of bacon. I
tried slow cooking lamb ribs for several hours but they were still too
fatty.

D.M.