Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Lamb Bacon

In article >,
RegForte > wrote:

> After the curing phase I cook up a piece and taste. If
> there's too much salt it gets soaked. If it's a long cure
> I let it sit after soaking to re-equalize. Never fails.

How long do you cure, and do you use a wet or dry cure?
I've only cured once and I've got another batch drying off right now for
smoking on Monday morning. I did a 5 day cure this time instead of 3
day (making Canadian bacon again) and am letting it dry for 3 in the
Hobart.

I'll use Mimosa again since that worked out so well, and I've finally
installed a temp gauge on my smoker. :-)

I've got some Beef Heart in the cure right now and it will have gone for
3 days but it will go directly into the smoker with no dry off time.
Well, maybe let it drain for a few hours... If I take it out Sunday
afternoon before going to work, that'll give it about 14 hours to drain.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: