Posted to rec.food.cooking
RegForte RegForte is offline

Default Lamb Bacon

Sqwertz wrote:

> This was my cure project for the week.
>
> Cured lamb breasts for bacon. A couple of them were cured with
> sage, garlic, and black pepper, the other with long pepper and
> allspice. Cured for 6 days, rinsed, dried, then lightly smoked over
> cherry wood for 2 hours at 200F.
>
> I will definitely do this again. Lamb breast is regularly priced at
> $.99/lb fresh cryovaced. This is awesome stuff:
>
> Bone-in:
> http://i28.tinypic.com/161ffps.jpg
> http://i27.tinypic.com/2j4f29u.jpg
>
> Trimmed:
> http://i26.tinypic.com/befv9d.jpg
> http://i28.tinypic.com/1562sdl.jpg
>
> I see Scotch broth in the near futu
> http://i32.tinypic.com/2ry25v9.jpg
>
> Next up: Lamb pancetta.

This looks spectacular.

When I've done cured lamb, I had a good time trying
to mix it in with other ingredients. If you do it
right, not all dishes have to be a lamb-dominated dish
per se. I've used lamb bacon in wilted salads that came out
really nice. Also some stews. Other times the lamb did
dominate too much. The results were often surprising and
the fun part was experimenting.