Posted to alt.food.wine

Default jargon

DaleW wrote on Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:08:35 -0700 (PDT):

> On Sep 1, 3:06 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>> On Aug 30, 7:39 am, Bobchai > wrote:
>>
> >> The statement by the previous writer that H2S smells like a
> >> burnt match is incorrect. Now you're talking about SO2,
> >> sulfur dioxide. Not the same thing at all. SO2 remains a
> >> critical part of winemaking operations, and while it is an
> >> additive, it's also a natural by- product of fermentation.
> >> SO2 is a whole other topic, except to say that it is the
> >> best antioxidant in a winemaker's arsenal, which I should
> >> have mentioned in a previous paragraph.

>> Bob (you're less formal than you used to be! )
>>
>> Welcome back, and thanks for the informative post. I'm sorry
>> if you read my "just lit matches" comment as referring to
>> H2S, I just meant that people often refer to the smell of
>> sulphur as reductive. As noted, I find that far less
>> troublesome, and even in fairly extreme cases (Prum) it blows
>> off in a few minutes (or you can try a penny). I don't regard
>> SO2 as a flaw.

As someone whose eating was made possible in graduate school by the
position of part-time instructor teaching analytical chemistry, may I
say that I still rather like the smell of hydrogen sulfide. On the other
hand, I find it inappropriate in wine and I don't much like it as
evidenced by hing in Indian food (Teufelsdreck in German).

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland