Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Are Red and Yellow Bell Peppers More Nutritious than Green Ones?

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Gloria P > wrote:
>
>> qquito wrote:
>> > Hello, Everyone:
>> >
>> > The red, yellow and orange bell peppers are usually much more
>> > expensive than the green ones. What is the reason? I do find they also
>> > taste better than the green ones, but are they more nutritious than
>> > the green ones?
>> >
>> > Thank you for reading and replying!
>> >
>> > --Roland

>> They contain more Vitamin A and C than green peppers.

> Which is why I only feed ripe peppers to my cockatoo.
> I'll purchase some jalapenos on the color turn too, and not feed them to
> her until they turn red. Red jalapenos are also sweeter.

Ripe bell peppers contain more sugar too, but they don't necessarily contain
more vitamins/minerals than green bell peppers, they can actually contain
less vitamins especially if sitting on produce shelves longer which tends to
be true of more costly items, and mineral content is mostly a result of the
soil on which it was grown. However red fruit generally contains more
anitioxident value than green fruit. I typically use green bells for
cooking and save the reds to eat raw in salads.. I think, due to the higher
price, it adds insult to injury to cook red peppers because heat destroys
much of the vitamins, and minerals are leached out into cooking liquid which
is true for preparing any vegetable... when folks steam/boil veggies unless
they consume the liquid they are eating the chaff and discarding the
nutrition.