Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
EmmyBlue EmmyBlue is offline

Default I need a little help

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "EmmyBlue" > wrote in message
>> Decades ago in Long Beach, CA, a Mex./Amer. landlady used to invite me to
>> her family dinners. The food, my god, the food was to die for. Her chile
>> rellenos were so good that I begged her to teach me how to make them, and
>> she did.
>>
>> She made a pinto beans and greens dish with bacon and onion that was also
>> a particular favorite of mine...cooked in a big cast iron skillet. What
>> she called it sounded like "ka-lee-tees." I have searched the Internet
>> just using the ingredients, but to no avail.
>>
>> Does anyone here know what I'm looking for? If not, is there another food
>> newsgroup that would know?
>>
>> I thank you for any help.
>> ev
>>
>> --
>> http://soonerblue.bloghi.com/

> Try this:
>
> Dimitri
>
> For breakfast I wanted Chilaquiles. I still haven't made enchilada
> sauce so I used my good ol' standby. I was too lazy to fry up some old
> tortillas so I used pre-made tostada shells. These I usually have on
> hand also. They are great for ceviche tostadas.
> I got together the enchilada sauce, tortillas, onion and cheese.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/2hi002t.jpg
>
> Poured a little of the sauce into the baking pan. Just enough to coat
> the bottom of the pan.
> http://i30.tinypic.com/f051qb.jpg
>
> Add broken up tortillas,
> http://i32.tinypic.com/fu0qqb.jpg
>
> and layer in some cheese and onion.
> http://i26.tinypic.com/2s1n11f.jpg
>
> Repeat. Top layer should be sauce and cheese and onion.
> http://i29.tinypic.com/29vcl54.jpg
>
> Place in a 350* oven until hot and bubbly.
>
> While the chilaquiles were baking I fried some bacon and scrambled up
> some eggs.
> http://i28.tinypic.com/6gk65t.jpg
>
> This made a great breakfast with some sliced heirloom tomatoes.
> http://i26.tinypic.com/fxe9uh.jpg
>
> koko

~~~~~~~~~
How scrumptious! I'd kill for those heirloom tomatoes.

I just scrambled some eggs with leftover fried rice, sprinkled it w grated
cheese and rolled it all up in a flour tortilla and dipped it in tomato
salsa.

I like to scramble eggs with onions, peppers and broken bits of tortilla
chips...sprinkled with grated Pepper jack while still warm.
ev
--
http://soonerblue.bloghi.com/