Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Unplanned party, with wines from Champagne, Rhone, Lombardy, NZ,and Spain

So Friday wasn't such a great day (started with a FedEx van running
into me) but that afternoon I ran into my friend Roger. His wife and
kids were due in from England, but flight was cancelled so he was
alone. So I invited him to dinner, and called a couple other friends.
Not much time to prep, so a simple dinner of mostly things I already
had, plus we decided to drink a few wines:

With a caprese salad, the NV (disgorged 7/07) Chartogne-Taillet "Cuvee
Ste Anne" Brut Champanne. Fairly full bodied, apple and a little
cherry, good acidity, maybe a tad short. B

When I called Ron and Nancy, they had just come home from fishmonger
with enough seabass for 2- or 4 as an appetizer. Topped with a
tomatillo and corn salsa, I chose the 2008 Benaza Godello (Monterrei)
as the wine. Hey, this made me pay attention. Classy and light, fresh
and minerally with
a saline edge to the finish, though it seems light on palate it
actually has plenty of body for the food. Citrus, peach, long finish.
Great buy ($13-15). B++

The rain had slowed long enough for me to start grilling (though then
it started again), I did some sirloins with garlic and a pepper rub,
corn, and squash, we also had a potato salad I had whipped up. Two
reds to accompany

2001 Duclaux Cote Rotie
Nice light to mid-bodied Syrah, bright red fruit framed with good
acidity and light tannins. Some spice and smoke, good length, not a
big Rhone but there is some backbone, can age a bit I'd say. But good
with steak now, and a good buy at $25. B+

2007 Sandro Fay Rosso di Valtellina
Red cherries, earth, and a bit of herb. Easy tannins, fresh, popular
at the table. Not to be mistaken for Barolo, but nice wine. B

With a rather inferior cheese course (I didn't have much time, had to
depend on what was in fridge or at supermarket), a half bottle of the
2005 Selaks "Premium Selection" Ice Wine (East Coast, NZ). Sweet, and
that's about it. Ripe pears, apples, and a little honey note. Needs
some acidic backbone. C+

Fun unplanned evening.