Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chemiker Chemiker is offline

Default Adventures in Cooking with No Teeth . . .

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:04:43 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
>bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
>lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
>of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
>on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
>in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
>good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
>offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
>red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
>lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
>Lynn in Fargo
>PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Lynn, any of the typical Hungarian/Slovak sides done as
fozolek would work. But, from the South, may I suggest
butter beans? // I make German mashed potatoes, i.e.
boiled potato chunks, tossed in a wok/pot with bacon
drippings, and then with addition of butter and vinegar.
They will disintegrate into mashed potatoes, but not
like we're used to.

Make sure you get the potato toasties off the side of the
pan, as there is so much flavor there. Use lots of parsley,
and don't stint on garlic.

Alex