Posted to rec.food.cooking
Zeppo[_2_] Zeppo[_2_] is offline

Default Zucchini bread (It's that time again!)

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> Adapted from Zucchini Bread, James Beard's "Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread"
> from James Beard's Bread Cookbook
> (modified to be low-fat) Makes two loaves
>
> 3 eggs (or Egg Beaters)
> 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
> (this has already been reduced--don't reduce much further!)
> 1/3 cup oil plus 2/3 c. applesauce (or 1 cup cooking oil)
> 2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini (or golden zucchini)
> 3 tsp. vanilla extract
> 3 c. all purpose flour
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. baking soda
> 1/4 tsp. baking powder
> 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
> 1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
> raisins, optional (we don't like 'em)
> 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
>
> Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
> Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices, set aside.
> Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, and oil,
> mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to combine
> Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.
>
> Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for ~50-60 minutes or until a tester
> comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
> and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
> sliced, spread with cream cheese.
>
> This bread freezes very well. It's great for breakfast.
>
> gloria p

Thanks for posting that. Have you tried making this with egg beaters?

The only thing I've tried to substitute eggbeaters in (other than omelets or
scrambled eggs) that I make is pancakes and the family said they could tell
the difference. They weren't as fluffy as they usually are. I've made them a
few times that way anyway, cause I think they are still pretty darn good.

Jon