Posted to alt.food.sushi
KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Powdered seasonings on Sashimi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Nanzi wrote:
>> Our itamae uses some kind of powder on one of the sashimi items in our
>> sashimi plates. The fish is light red in color - salmon? Tuna? It is
>> very tasty and we would like to use it at home when we buy sashimi
>> grade fish to do here.
>> Does anyone know what might be used, and or a recipe of same?
>> Thanks for your help.
>> We have not asked itamae as we feel that would be improper......are we
>> correct in that thinking?

> Never heard of a dried seasoning on sashimi.. could be the red pepper
> flakes used for udon noodles. Can you describe the seasoning color and
> flavor?
>
> --
> Dan

There are various blends of furikake that are used in sushi and sashimi
preparation, some are sugar-based and popular for using on chirashi, others
are bonito based and popular for topping hand rolls, yet others are spicy
and chili based -- the selection is almost endless. Most oriental food
stores will carry a good selection, as they are essential to Japanese
cooking.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com