Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default WTN: wines in the Northeast Kingdom- Burg, Nahe, & Rueda

Saturday we drove up to Craftsbury, VT. In a complicated plan of niece
going from one VT camp to another, Betsy and her sister rented a
lovely cabin for a week. I went up for 2 nights. First night we were
alone, made some BBQ chicken, grilled local corn, salad, along with a
lovely Black Prince tomato. I opened two wines (I should note that I
debated whether to bring own glasses, but decided we were lugging
enough (I was bringing back stuff from niece's first camp) and we'd go
with the "full dinner service" I guess they don't have wine with
dinner in Vermont, these were drunk from juice glasses)

2006 Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Spatlese
Limes, peach and cherry fruit. Sweet, good acidity, good length.
Forward and easy to like, shows the opulence of the vintage but
without being blowsy. Showed fine on night two.Very nice wine that can
age, but why? B+

2005 Dominique*Laurent*Cotes de*Nuits*Villages VV
Juicy dark berry and cherry fruit, balanced acids, some slightly raspy
tannins (it was better on day two). No noticable oak. Big for CdNV. B

A nice day with some gentle hiking, then night two we were joined by
Betsy's sister and nephew, along with another mother who had also
moved her daughter from wilderness camp to running camp. We had made
dinner, a couple of people were pesce-vegetarians, so we did a pasta
with pesto, grilled shrimp, corn, salad, and a couple Striped German
tomatoes (our tomato ripening came finally). We used wines from
previous night, plus the
2007 Ermita de Nieve Verdejo
Lighter styled, lemon and apples with a little herby note. Good on a
warm evening, even if lacking a bit in depth and length. B-

Monday I drove back, worked for a couple of hours, headed home to see
what was left in fridge/freezer. Too hot to cook inside, used
microwave for a red/green cabbage mix, grill for some garlic chicken
sausages, and had a half bottle of the 2006 Rossignol-Trapet Gevrey-
Chambertin, Nice earthy midweight, lots of Gevrey earth, maybe a
little shorter than ideal, but nice for level. Gets a little spicy
note with time. Good value at $15/half, B/B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

*