Posted to rec.food.equipment
Zeppo[_2_] Zeppo[_2_] is offline

Default Who Makes the Best Manual Can Opener?

>>> When I bought the above product, it was $29.95, and it might have been
>>> on sale.

>> Here are some reviews for your item, too:
>>
>> http://www0.epinions.com/reviews/Ros...pener_44796019
>>

>> I ditto all you've said above; I hate the food contact and the rust.
>>
>> Susan

> Thanks for linking the epinions to read. I enjoyed them; particularly
> this helpful comment (snipped):
>
> "I.... This is an odd device for sure, and a bit less than intuitive. The
> right way to use is to place the guide bar flat on the can top. Then (here
> comes the less-than intuitive part) turn the crank about 1/4 turn
> backwards (to engage the opener with the lid seam), and THEN turn the
> handle forward to open the lid. Then back a 1/4 turn to disengage."
>
> Dee Dee

I had an ancient swingaway die on me last year, and picked up a new one. It
only lasted 4 or 5 months. Picked up a succession on manual models from
various places, most of which could not do the most basic function it was
designed for, to open a stinkin' can.

I did some research (just on Amazon) and gave the Kuhn Rikon a try (see link
below).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

This took me a while to get used to (I actually had to RTFM to figure it
out. Hurt my feelings.) It's worked fine in the four months I've had it. I
haven't run into a can it wouldn't open but I probably haven't tried hard
enough.

Jon