Posted to rec.food.equipment
Ted Goldblatt[_2_] Ted Goldblatt[_2_] is offline

Default Who Makes the Best Manual Can Opener?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or battery
> operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
> prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.
>
> All suggestions considered.

I personally would just go with the Swingaway - even if (as some in this
thread allege) the current models won't last as long as the old ones. I
toss mine in the dishwasher all the time, so I'm not concerned about its
cleanliness. Yes, the cutting wheel eventually rusts - I generally get
2 or 3 years from one before the damage to the cutting wheel makes it
problematic. But a new opener is only $6 at Publix (my local
supermarket), and I prefer the convenience - I would be more concerned
about caring for an opener that cost 4-5 times as much (and won't last
4-5 times as long).