Posted to rec.food.equipment
jt august[_3_] jt august[_3_] is offline

Default Who Makes the Best Manual Can Opener?

In article >,
"pavane" > wrote:

> Mine is about 10 years old and is USA made. I just rinse it in water after
> use, dabbing it with a sponge if the opening proves messy. But I can
> see the China origin as being an issue, however, I believe all OXO stuff
> is made in China. Who knows, my feeling would be that if you can find
> a Made in USA Swingaway you should grab it.

I'm not trying to pass judgement about Made in China in general, but I
know what has changed in Swing-Away can openers now that they are china
made. A cheaper grade of stainless that can corrode, looser tolerances
that can allow shafts to float too much, matter to wedge into places it
shouldn't which leads to abnormal pressures and causes abnormal wear and
play, and the gap between the drive gear wheel and the blade can vary to
where either the two are too close together, and you have to force the
can opener into the engage position, or too far apart, and the grip
isn't right and the can doesn't turn. Due to sloppy tolerances, these
newer units tear themselves apart quickly sometimes, other times they
last and last, but the consistency people expect isn't there any more.
It was about six years ago that the owner passed away, and it was less
than a year after that the widow sold company, and the new owners
quickly moved production. The old owner had operated for years with his
suppliers, including Jack Steuby, the owner of the company I worked for,
with simple hand shakes. With no contracts in place, it was a chaos the
new owners wanted cleaned quickly. And their new policies lead to the
old suppliers asking higher prices, so the newbies took the supply side
overseas. The cheapened production has lead to a poor quality can
opener. Based on comments I have head in the last three years, I will
stick with pre-2003 made Swing-Aways only. And I am satisfied with the
1997 made unit I have.

jt