Posted to rec.food.equipment
pavane[_3_] pavane[_3_] is offline

Default Who Makes the Best Manual Can Opener?

"jt august" > wrote in message
| In article 7>,
| Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
|
| > I need to replace my can opener. I am not interested in electric or battery
| > operated models or those which also remove the top rim of the can. I'd
| > prefer one that's easy to clean, even dishwasherable if possible.
| >
| > All suggestions considered.
| >
| > Thanks!
|
| I have a swing-away that I got when I worked for the machine shop that
| made the blades and gear for swing-away. That was 11 year ago. Since
| then, the company owner has passed on, and his widow sold the company.
| I understand that it is now made in China, and not so good anymore. I
| wash my "vintage" swign-away in the dishwasher, no problem. If you can
| find one used and verify it is 6 years old or more, then it is the
| older, made in the USA ones, and those will last.

Mine is about 10 years old and is USA made. I just rinse it in water after
use, dabbing it with a sponge if the opening proves messy. But I can
see the China origin as being an issue, however, I believe all OXO stuff
is made in China. Who knows, my feeling would be that if you can find
a Made in USA Swingaway you should grab it.

pavane