Margaret Suran

Default How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

jmcquown wrote:

> > I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> > when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a
> > lot, but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

> Oh heavens, Margaret! I have no idea the cost of an individual slice of
> pizza. (I'm sure *someone* will slam me for this reply). I can tell you,
> the price seems exhorbitant to me, but then, things are much less costly
> down here in Tennessee than they are in Manhattan. I would however, expect
> to pay at least a dollar for a slice of pizza at a pizzaria simply because
> they are mostly (down here) hoping to sell the entire pizza pie, not single
> slices.
>
> I hope at least it tasted good
>
> Jill

I was really good, Jill. I ordered it as a take out. It was crisp,
with good cheeses and very good fresh mushrooms.

The kind of Pizzeria I went to, mostly sells pizzas by the slice. The
pies are huge and the next time I go there, I will count the slices inn
each. The slices are rather large. When the pies come out of the oven,
they are sliced into individual portions right away. There seems to be
more money in slices than in whole pies.

These pizzarias attract people who will buy a slice or two all through
the day. Some people go there for breakfast, not necessarily for pizza,
of course, but some do. Next comes the lunch crowd, especially the
children from neighboring schools. Whole pizzas are mostly delivery
orders, but after school and after work, there is a big crush for more
slices, to eat there or take out. From then on, the place is busy until
after the last movie in the neighborhood closes and everybody goes
home. Until a couple of years ago, the hookers on 86th Street kept some
of such places busy until much later, but I think the Giuliani cleaned
up the street. It's several years since I noticed any hookers accosting
men who passed by.

This is not the only pizza place there, but this is a very popular one.
Their thin crust pizzas are very good, but they are only sold as whole
pies, albeit in three sizes, small, medium and large. If I am too busy
to cook, Marcel will bring a small one home for dinner. That, with a
green salad, is enough for two people. I have never asked how much it
costs.

MS