Kenneth

Default Desem bread and other alternative cultures

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:04:46 GMT, > wrote:

>On another note I saw a baker on TV who made a starter culture by rubbing
>the natural yeast or whatever off of red cabbage, blueberries, and grapes.
>It looked interesting. He made a pretty rustic loaf with it. I am wondering
>if anyone has tried that method, either.

Howdy,

The science on all this is pretty clear: The yeasts that grow on those
veggies cannot survive when fed flour and water. As a result, if one
wants to make a natural leavening (sourdough) culture it is best to
eat the grapes, and grow the critters that live on the grain (and thus
in the flour).

HTH,

--
Kenneth