Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Specializing in cuisines from other countries/regions

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:39:57 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol

>>You're thinking of Rick Bayless and Julia Child? I think more than
>>just knowledge of the cuisine is needed, because you're acting as a
>>bridge between two cuisines/cultures. Master of the introduction and
>>all that stuff. Personality and a good business sense are big
>>factors. It helps to have a working knowledge on the subject, of
>>course, but you don't need to be an expert to succeed. If you don't
>>have the expertise, you can always hire someone who does.

>I think we might do well to separate those kinds of bridge figures with the
>gifts of gab and business from the oftentimes quiet experts who aren't trying
>to parley their newfound expertise into a living. I think most people from
>different cultures are thrilled to have Westerners interested in what they eat.
>But, once a self styled expert begins making a living from their endeavors,
>issues of appropriation emerge. In another thread, I expressed my discomfort
>with Rick Bayless opening swanky, high priced Mexican restaurants in place of
>Mexican chefs. If any of you taught someone how to prepare your family's most
>cherished recipes, how would you feel if they turned around and either
>published a cookbook or opened a restaurant without sharing royalties or
>profits with you?

I could look at it as a glass half full and brag that he'd still be a
nobody if it wasn't for me.

--
Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else
to hold them.