Posted to rec.food.cooking
Orlando Enrique Fiol Orlando Enrique Fiol is offline

Default Specializing in cuisines from other countries/regions

wrote:
>You're thinking of Rick Bayless and Julia Child? I think more than
>just knowledge of the cuisine is needed, because you're acting as a
>bridge between two cuisines/cultures. Master of the introduction and
>all that stuff. Personality and a good business sense are big
>factors. It helps to have a working knowledge on the subject, of
>course, but you don't need to be an expert to succeed. If you don't
>have the expertise, you can always hire someone who does.

I think we might do well to separate those kinds of bridge figures with the
gifts of gab and business from the oftentimes quiet experts who aren't trying
to parley their newfound expertise into a living. I think most people from
different cultures are thrilled to have Westerners interested in what they eat.
But, once a self styled expert begins making a living from their endeavors,
issues of appropriation emerge. In another thread, I expressed my discomfort
with Rick Bayless opening swanky, high priced Mexican restaurants in place of
Mexican chefs. If any of you taught someone how to prepare your family's most
cherished recipes, how would you feel if they turned around and either
published a cookbook or opened a restaurant without sharing royalties or
profits with you?

Orlando