Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Specializing in cuisines from other countries/regions

ChattyCathy wrote:
> The Julia thread (and a few other recent threads) got me to thinking
> about this...
>
> Do you think that one can become an acknowledged "expert" at cooking
> authentic cuisine(s) from other countries/regions without actually
> living and/or studying a particular cuisine in the applicable
> country/region of origin?
>
> Would taking a course (in your home country) or being taught 'how to' by
> a relative/friend who came from that country/region do the trick?
>
> Any thoughts?

My sister in law's stepdaughter is a bit of a loose cannon, to say the
least. For years she has been talking about going to Greece and opening
the ultimate Greek cooking school. She is not Greek. I don't know if
they would even let her into the country because she is still living in
a half way house after having spent close to a year in jail for fraud.