Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Specializing in cuisines from other countries/regions

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 18:14:40 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>The Julia thread (and a few other recent threads) got me to thinking
>about this...
>
>Do you think that one can become an acknowledged "expert" at cooking
>authentic cuisine(s) from other countries/regions without actually
>living and/or studying a particular cuisine in the applicable
>country/region of origin?
>
>Would taking a course (in your home country) or being taught 'how to' by
>a relative/friend who came from that country/region do the trick?
>
>Any thoughts?

You're thinking of Rick Bayless and Julia Child? I think more than
just knowledge of the cuisine is needed, because you're acting as a
bridge between two cuisines/cultures. Master of the introduction and
all that stuff. Personality and a good business sense are big
factors. It helps to have a working knowledge on the subject, of
course, but you don't need to be an expert to succeed. If you don't
have the expertise, you can always hire someone who does.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.