Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Beef Eye of Round "sous vide" disaster

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> On Aug 2, 8:36 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:03:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
> > > You know, anytime I've ever seen one of the cheftestants on Top Chef
> > > attempt to cook a piece of meat that way it's always been a disaster
> > > too. Maybe it's just not a good way to cook a piece of meat.

> > Especially a 4" thick piece of meat.
> >
> > -sw

> Especially an eye of round which isn't much good for anything, IMO.
> Well, maybe hash.
>
> N.

Eye of round (as well as sirloin) are lean enough to make good steak
tartar. Served raw, it's not tough. It only gets tough when you cook
it, unless it's long slow cooked to tenderize.

Eye of round makes excellent pot roast for instance.

Last time I ruined a hunk of beef tho', pressure cooking it into a stew
salvaged it nicely.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.