Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Dried chipotles - hel-l-lp

In article >,
Steve Y > wrote:

> Do you have a recipe ? Might still be able to get some cherries.
>
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> > Thanks. They'll be used in a Cherry Chipotle relish.

I have several recipes.

This one is the easiest:

Cherry Chipotle Relish

Recipe By: Barb Schaller 6-05

Yield: ~1 cup

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 small onion finely minced (maybe 1/4 cup)
1 garlic clove finely minced
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce finely chopped
1 cup M.A. Gedney Cherry Preserves <cough>
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the onion and garlic in it for
a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce
heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool before serving with roast
meat or with a sandwich. Makes about one cup. Refrigerate leftovers.
It packs a sneaky bite.

And this is the one I reverse-engineered so it would be eligible for
competition. It won first place.

Cherry Chipotle Relish

Recipe By: Barb Schaller - August, 2006

Yield: 6-8 half pint jars

64 ounces frozen sweet cherries
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (La Costeņa 7 oz)
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced

Slightly thaw the cherries then slice them (thickest slice) in food
processor.

Drain, reserving juice. Chop the canned chipotles (with sauce) in food
processor.

Combine all in a heavy kettle, bring to boil, then reduce heat and
simmer for about 30-40 minutes to thicken.

Pour into 6-8 prepared half pint jars. Process in a boiling water bath
for 15 minutes.

Notes: First Place, Minnesota State Fair, 2006.Suggestions: Start
with only half the amount of chipotles. I don't know if they vary in
heat from can to can but when I made this after the Fair, half a can was
quite sufficient.

Re the reserved cherry juice: Make some jelly. And if I'd had sour
cherries, I would have used those instead of the sweet cherries.
This rocks with grilled pork or chicken.

Barb Schaller
September 15, 2006

If you liquefy this and maybe add some more vinegar, it's a good mop for
grilled meat, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out