Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Dried chipotles - hel-l-lp

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote:

> How do I use them? Assuming I will buy a package of whole chipotles,
> how do I prepare it?
>
> I want it chopped or ground -- do I soak the chipotle in something
> before chopping?
>
> Chop with a knife or small chopper device?
>
> I may just wind up using canned in adobo. Or Penzey's ground.
>
> Thanks for help.

Depends how you will use chipotles/smoked jalopenos... be careful... they
can be extremely hot, least those I got from Penzys are. They add a
particular smokey flavor but also add fairly intense heat so don't just toss
one into a small pot of chili. For my taste one medium sized pepper is
plenty for a six quart pot of chili... I split it to remove the seeds but I
leave it whole so I can taste and pull it out if it gets too hot, and I
usually add half the pepper to start. The powdered is hotter as it contains
the seeds and membranes and you can't remove any so be extra cautious, you
can and should remove the seeds from whole chipotles. Canned chipotles is
an entirely different product, not nearly so hot, in fact some are not hot
at all, it's made with a much milder pepper, really just adds smokiness and
the flavor of the adobo sauce.