Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Muncie Bob Muncie is offline

Default OT, but it's not stopping anyone else

cybercat wrote:
> "Bob Muncie" > wrote
>> I know the style. I've been eating yogurt and/or cereal for breakfast,
>> salad/fruit for lunch and or dinner time frame mostly, with an occasional
>> indulgence. I have some BOGO coupons for Culver's double deluxe burgers
>> that expire today, so it's likely I'll indulge that today. I also have
>> some steamed burger with onions and mushrooms I made yesterday for a more
>> healthy loose meat sandwich yesterday.

> Hmm, what is this "steamed burger?"
>
> The left
>> over will likely go towards a chili on Saturday or Sunday. Guess I'll be
>> burgered out by the end of the week-end and switching to chicken :-) But
>> now is the right time to enjoy the salad and fruit as they are at least
>> 50% off around here this time of the season.
>>

> Yes indeed. Man, they had four pints of really nice blueberries (not wild, I
> know, I am deprived!) for $6 the other week the most expensive grocery
> around, then they were four for $5 couple days ago! I had no idea they are
> full of Omega 3 fatty acids, like fish, did you know that?

CC -

I will often times get burger (doesn't matter the % of fat for this cook
method) season well, put in a steamer rack on top of a coffee filter
that sits inside a smaller size stock pot. Two cups of water boiling,
add the steamer rack to the pot, cover and cook for appropriate time
(depends on thickness of the burger. In the above case, I mentioned
loose meat so the form was more like a maid-rite which is just highly
seasoned burger that is in loose format, and served on steamed buns with
mustard, chopped onions, and pickles. I could have also made them in a
hamburger shape (I have those round egg molds for frying eggs for muffin
sandwiches) but since I was making some for chili, I didn't bother.
Throw in a couple of buns to steam before serving. But I did saute
mushrooms and onions in olive oil to add to the burger after I broke it
up. Chopped raw onion is also a normal topping for the sandwiches.

The burger cooked this way is pretty ugly coming out as it's gray, but
it does taste good, and is a healthy way to cook it.

The remainder that I'll use for chili will go into a saute pan with
cumin and chili pepper (I use chipotle), stir until somewhat dry, and
add to chili base (and yes I use beans).

Bob

My dog even benefits as he gets some of the greased water to his dry
food before disposing of the water :-)

In sandwich form, you could also add shredded cheese (I uses cheddar or
mozzarella)or if you formed the burgers, sliced cheese also works well.