Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damaeus[_2_] Damaeus[_2_] is offline

Default Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Janet Wilder > posted:

> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far, I'm
> > not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
> > using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.

> I use butter. Unsalted butter. I freeze it then grate it over the
> largest holes of a box grater. This allows it to incorporate better.

When I used the Crisco shortening version, I put all the dry ingredients
in with the shortening into a stand mixer with the mixing paddle and
let'er rip until the shortening could no longer be distinguished from the
flour. Then I added the buttermilk and let it go around and around a few
more times until it was holding its form enough that I could work it with
my hands without having a big mess.

Damaeus