Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damaeus[_2_] Damaeus[_2_] is offline

Default Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Bobo Bonobo+AK4- > posted:

> On Jul 26, 5:26+AKA-pm, Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > I accidentally posted this first to rec.food-cooking....here's a post for
> > this group:
> >
> > I like biscuits now and then, and I got the itch to have some a while
> > back when I was watching the Food Network and saw Tyler Florence's
> > version. +AKA-He shocked me when he said to use vegetable shortening, his
> > reason being that he found that butter tends to burn, while shortening
> > doesn't.

> Anyone who uses hydrogenated shortening in 2009 has either been
> (metaphorically) living in a cave, or they are a freaking idiot, or
> possibly they are evil. If what you say is accurate, Tyler Florence
> deserves to be kicked in the groin repeatedly.

Maybe they like to sabotage their own recipes for television, so they can
keep one little secret and make better food for themselves and friends,
who then wonder why they can't get their own to come out as perfectly: "I
use butter in my own, not the shortening I use on television."

It's like caviar. I dunno... the whole idea of eating caviar is as
disgusting as eating something like haggis. I have long suspected that
maybe caviar is like a running joke with the affluent and wealthy. Perhaps
they don't eat caviar, themselves, but they serve it to all their poor
friends who come around and think they're living the high life by eating
fish roe. Then they sit back and laugh as these poor people think they're
living the high life by eating something that's nasty, but won't kill
them.

I remember seeing some episode of a television show with Donald Trump on
it, serving caviar that sold for $10,000 per jar. I don't recall seeing
Donald, himself, eating any of it. I don't base my whole suspicion on
what Donald did at his own party, especially since, of course, not
everything that happens at a party ends up on television. But really, who
knows? I suppose if one has enough money to play a huge practical joke
like that, and you can afford to spend $500,000 on 50 jars of caviar for a
party, it might be worth that for a big belly laugh after it's all over,
just imagining all those poor people making only $500,000 a year eating
something raked out of the reproductive system of a fish.

Damaeus