danseur

Default fresh shiitake recipes? All cuisines

(KR) wrote in message om>...
> Hi everyone,
>
> it's the second spring for my shiitake log and it is starting to ramp
> up its shiitake production. I'm looking for your suggestions for
> outstanding fresh-shiitake-centric recipes, from any cuisine, that
> will help me to weather the coming storm. :-)
>
> I may resort to adding shiitake in place of the fresh mushroom of
> record in any or every mushroom dish, but would prefer to find
> combinations that work especially well with shiitake in particular.
> Surprises - Thai, for example - would be very welcome.
>
> Thanks!
> KR / krnntp (ducks runaway log)

try removing the stem & broiling them with a dab of butter as an
appetizer.

mushroom & chicken seem to work well in generally, but shitakes
especially so. a saute in chicken fat (& a little oyster sauce) is
great over rice. but my favorite chicken & shitake mushroom recipe is
a braise with thigh meat. (yeah this works with dried mushrooms too,
but the texture of the fresh mushrooms is better). served over rice,
this is one of my favorite comfort meals.

ideally, the thighs will be deboned & cut into bite size pieces, but
when i get lazy i just de-skin the thighs, make an incision to expose
the bone to help them cook evenly, & cook them whole.

- marinate meat in mixture of rice wine, cornstarch, salt & sesame oil
(call it 1/2 hour min.);
- remove stems from mushrooms & clean (i like to have about 3
mushrooms per whole chicken thigh);
- brown chicken in oil in a heavy pan (or wok). if you have fresh
ginger & green onion, slice ginger thinly (about 3 pieces) and cut
green onion into 1" lengths and stir fry them first to flavor the oil;
- remove excess fat from pan (if any), add mushrooms, & (in roughly
equal volumes) rice wine, sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil &
1/2 water or chicken stock;
- cover and cook over medium heat about 15 minutes (if cooking with
whole thighs, check to ensure that they're cooked through - that's
where making the cut to expose the bone helps);

let me know if you have any questions.

barry