ggull

Default Sun Drying Experiences?

"Peter Dy" > wrote.

> Thanks, Nick. This frame you make, you set it down somewhere

horizontally?
> And I guess the plastic window screening is to prevent flies etc from
> gathering. That's a great idea. I had always seen pics of fish and squid
> hanging with no protection, which is certainly fine, but the plastic
> screening sounds a bit more hygenic, if only for my neighbors sake.

A few years ago my mom had moved into an assisted living facility (barely
assisted; really more just apartments for the elderly), and loved the fact
that most of the residents were immigrants like her. One little old Chinese
lady (seemingly recent immigrant, or never acculturated) moved in just after
she did, and at least initially would dry strips of meat (pork?) just
threaded on a length of string which she'd tie up in an out of the way
corner of the external stairs. I'm trying to recall any details ... She'd
tie the string horizontally, like across a corner, and good air circulation
seemed to be more important than sun. I think she may have spent some time
attending it, kind of waving off flies, [maybe when first put out? or maybe
guarding against hungry neighbors:-] but I also don't recall noticing a fly
problem even when she wasn't there. This was a very small scale operation,
just one or two strings a couple of feet long. I don't know if it was a
change in weather or her mortified children, but I stopped seeing the
hanging meat after a while.