ggull

Default Sun Drying Experiences?

"Peter Dy" > wrote ...
> "Ian Hoare" > wrote ...
> > Laundry line? You mean you're allowed a laundry line? Many of my friends

> in
> > the US tell me the neighbours complain over one of those. "I don't want

> > look at your underwear", being the typical comment.

> Hehe. Yeah, I imagine that's true in some places. But my mother has

always
> hung out the clothes to dry. And my apartment complex has poles where one
> can attach clothes lines, so there's no universal disapproval of it here

in
> the States. Or maybe I just haven't lived in more Puritan or bible-based
> parts of this country.

I've got one of those poles right about the fence line separating my back
yard from the neighbors'. Of course I live in a neighborhood of triple
deckers (3-family house, one apartment per floor), and have no idea how I'd
get a line on those tempting pulleys.
I think the objections/prohibitions are more a class thing ... that's what
poor folk, especially immigrants, do, and we don't want this
neighborhood/complex/etc to look like we can't afford driers. There was an
amusing week or two in the Doonesbury comic strip a few months ago about one
character (Zonker?) trying to sun dry clothes.