Peter Dy

Default Sun Drying Experiences?

> wrote in message
> "Peter Dy" > wrote:
> > Has anyone sun drying things like beef? [ . . . ]
> >
> > Has anyone tried it? Does it work well?
> >

> Peter, I've been doing this for over 40 years. It works great for making
> jerky or other dried meats and veggies. I've only done beef and tomatoes.
> There's a bit of DIY. Make 2 frames about 2' x 4' or whatever, out of 3/4"
> square wood or whatever. Get enough plastic window screening to make 3
> layers, one for the bottom, one for the top of the bottom and one for the
> top of the top. Improvise some kind of hinges out of cloth or whatever and
> some kind of hasp or use rubber bands on the corners to hold it closed.

Put
> it outside in the morning, take it in at night so it doesn't get dew on

it.
> Thin slices work best, one or two days'll do it. Google should give you
> some marinade or rub ideas, although I haven't looked. I just shake the
> strips of beef in a mixture of garlic powder, s & p in a paper bag. You
> could probably use a Teriyaki sauce, too. Once you see how great this
> tastes compared to the commercial stuff, you're hooked. ENJOY!

Thanks, Nick. This frame you make, you set it down somewhere horizontally?
And I guess the plastic window screening is to prevent flies etc from
gathering. That's a great idea. I had always seen pics of fish and squid
hanging with no protection, which is certainly fine, but the plastic
screening sounds a bit more hygenic, if only for my neighbors sake.

Peter