Peter Dy

Default Sun Drying Experiences?

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Peter Dy,
>
> le/on Sat, 15 May 2004 05:18:38 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

[...]
> >in the Central Valley, it can get pretty hot in the summer, often in the
> >90s, and it's real dry here.

> Perfect.

Cool. Actually, I should have said it usually hits the 90s and sometimes
reaches the 100s in the summer. If sun-drying won't work here, I don't know
where it would.

> >I also live in an apartment complex, so I'm kinda worried about the

boring
> >neighbors as well. They might complain that I've got frogs hanging from

> >laundry line outside.

> Laundry line? You mean you're allowed a laundry line? Many of my friends

in
> the US tell me the neighbours complain over one of those. "I don't want to
> look at your underwear", being the typical comment.

Hehe. Yeah, I imagine that's true in some places. But my mother has always
hung out the clothes to dry. And my apartment complex has poles where one
can attach clothes lines, so there's no universal disapproval of it here in
the States. Or maybe I just haven't lived in more Puritan or bible-based
parts of this country.

> I'd say, "go for it", then come back and let us know how you get on. And
> don't worry TOO much about germs, the salting is designed to prevent them
> being able to live.

You're right about the germs. I had just never read much about people
sun-drying here, so I was wondering why not.

And now I remember that I'm boycotting American beef, so sun-drying that
will be on hold for now. Maybe frogs... My brother just got back from
Paris where he was invited to a BBQ featuring wonderful French beef
(Charolais?). Me, when I head down to Mexico is when I'll finally able to
eat great-tasting beef once again...

Peter