Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chemiker Chemiker is offline

Default OT-Ever have the taste of beer change?

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:07:02 -0700 (PDT), Silent Stone
> wrote:

Well, yes and no, because beer possesses certain
flavor elements that, through the effects of age, may
be more or less perceived by trhe drinker.

That said, it is common knowledge (see Shakespeare)
that the ability to taste and smell decreases with age.
Now THAT said, there is another effect that is related,
I think. When I was young, I was nauseated to vomiting
by the odor of sauteeing mushrooms.

I am near 70 now, and can sautee mushrooms and
eat those little suckers without a problem.

One explanation is that I was able, in my youth, to
perceive a certain chemical that was offensive to me,
and precipitated the vomiting. I argue that I have lost
the ability to perceive that unknown chemical, and I can,
at this age, eat mushrooms all day long.

Short answer: Yes. One can lose the ability to detect
certain offensive and pleasant things. Tastes change.
You can rail against it, or live with it.

(Don't mess with Mother Nature!)

My suggestion? Grow old gracefully. Your old Malt is
no longer satisfying? Find out what is! Explore. You
enjoyed certain things in their time, and now you can
move to new horizons. Go for it, ma' fren'.

Alex