Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
merrydown[_2_] merrydown[_2_] is offline

Default Experience with "Young's Auto Syphon 23 L"?

On Jul 22, 9:53*pm, Adam Funk > wrote:
> Thanks for all the comments. *Since there were some drawbacks, I'll
> think about this for a bit. *(The wine thief is great, though.)
>
> --
> Taken on the whole however this is a fine disc and a good example of
> the current pop scene attempting to break out of its vulgarisms and
> sometimes downright obscene derivative hogwash.
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *(Julian Stone-Mason B.A., 1972)

Fair enough. I would recommend autosyphons 100%, I live in the UK but
the one I bought is a Canadian import. The Young's one looks like a
direct copy of it. I don't know how I managed without one frankly.

The only drawback is - as stated - similar to all racking canes and
syphons: you need to keep it still at the top of the carboy while
racking is in progress. You can however hold the auto-syphon while
you prime it, whereas with a standard racking cane you have to set it
up then go to the other end to suck the process into action which
makes a huge positive difference. Coupled with the fact that you
don't have to get your mouth near the receiving end of the tube (and
therefore there are no potential sanitising issues) I'd say the
autosyphon is a clear winner.

Jim