Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dovey Dee Dovey is offline

Default Recommendations for high-end cooktops and moderate+ ovens

"Ted Goldblatt" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Ted Goldblatt" > wrote in message
>>> I've been looking at the DCS 36" 6 burner rangetop (CP366) sealed burner
>>> unit, since it seemed to be the least expensive of the high-end units
>>> (about $1K less than the Wolf (RT366 or SRT366), and (not as but still
>>> substantially) less than the others I've looked at). I recently
>>> discovered that the BTU output on the big burners on the DCS are 15%-20%
>>> lower when running on LP than on natural gas - not sure how significant
>>> that is.

>> We installed a new Bertazzoni in May of 2008. We love it.
>>
>> http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/
>>
>> Good value when comparing prices to the Viking and Wolf. Ours is on
>> propane and the burner output is the same as with NG. When we bought
>> ours, the dealer had to change the orifices, but now they come from the
>> factory set up and tuned for the gas you will be using.

> Perhaps good value compared to Viking and Wolf, but they aren't in my
> price range anyway...
>
> The appliance dealer I am working with apparently carries Bertazzoni, but
> (perhaps knowing the sort of price limits I am looking at) didn't suggest
> it...
>
>> Everything cooked in the oven comes out superior to anything made in our
>> old range. It has a convection oven and the meats are nicely done and
>> are juicier than from the old one. Burner control is very good.

> The ovens I am looking at all have true (separately heated) convection.
> Whether this is up to the level of that in the "fancy" brands is a
> question, of course...
>
>> If I moved to a new house tomorrow, I'd replace it with the same thing.
>> I just wish we had the space for the 48" range.

> I am replacing 2 30" ranges. Going to 48" means I wouldn't get 2 full
> size (well, 30" anyway) ovens. Further, while I guess I have the space, I
> don't have the $$$ to go that way... The approach I'm going is (I think)
> going to give me the best compromise for my needs.
>
> ted

I believe there is controversy about baking bread using convection. I never
use it (well, hardly ever) for baking bread.

Yesterday I made cookies, and I suppose I could've used convection and used
2 pans at the same time; but I chose to bake one pan at a time.
That's just me.

Dee Dee