Posted to rec.food.equipment
Ted Goldblatt[_2_] Ted Goldblatt[_2_] is offline

Default Recommendations for high-end cooktops and moderate+ ovens

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Ted Goldblatt" > wrote in message
>> I've been looking at the DCS 36" 6 burner rangetop (CP366) sealed burner
>> unit, since it seemed to be the least expensive of the high-end units
>> (about $1K less than the Wolf (RT366 or SRT366), and (not as but still
>> substantially) less than the others I've looked at). I recently
>> discovered that the BTU output on the big burners on the DCS are 15%-20%
>> lower when running on LP than on natural gas - not sure how significant
>> that is.

> We installed a new Bertazzoni in May of 2008. We love it.
>
> http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/
>
> Good value when comparing prices to the Viking and Wolf. Ours is on propane
> and the burner output is the same as with NG. When we bought ours, the
> dealer had to change the orifices, but now they come from the factory set up
> and tuned for the gas you will be using.

Perhaps good value compared to Viking and Wolf, but they aren't in my
price range anyway...

The appliance dealer I am working with apparently carries Bertazzoni,
but (perhaps knowing the sort of price limits I am looking at) didn't
suggest it...

> Everything cooked in the oven comes out superior to anything made in our old
> range. It has a convection oven and the meats are nicely done and are
> juicier than from the old one. Burner control is very good.

The ovens I am looking at all have true (separately heated) convection.
Whether this is up to the level of that in the "fancy" brands is a
question, of course...

> If I moved to a new house tomorrow, I'd replace it with the same thing. I
> just wish we had the space for the 48" range.

I am replacing 2 30" ranges. Going to 48" means I wouldn't get 2 full
size (well, 30" anyway) ovens. Further, while I guess I have the space,
I don't have the $$$ to go that way... The approach I'm going is (I
think) going to give me the best compromise for my needs.

ted