Posted to rec.food.equipment
Will[_1_] Will[_1_] is offline

Default Recommendations for high-end cooktops and moderate+ ovens

On Jul 18, 4:48*pm, Ted Goldblatt > wrote:
> I am in the process of finishing up design of a major (as in gut to the
> walls, and take down one of those) kitchen redo. *Right now I am trying
> to settle on appliances. *Money is definitely an object, so I was
> targeting higher-end mass market (Kitchenaid/Bosch level) for most
> things, a bit higher for the rangetop.
>
> I'm basically settled on fridge and dishwasher, and thought I was on the
> others. *(Ignoring my general inability to make a decision and
> tremendous buyer's remorse even before I buy anything :-)) However...
>
> I had decided on a pair of KA 30" single ovens (model KEBS107S), but
> I've read a lot of reports of problems with KA ovens (and maybe this
> specific unit) dying due to thermal cutouts burning out when
> self-cleaning. *And actually, I own a KA range that has had overheating
> related failure issues. *KA apparently denies that there are any design
> problems, so it's hard to tell if they have fixed this. *Based on my
> concerns, the appliance place I've been dealing with suggested as
> possible alternatives a Bosch (HBL545) as a pretty comparable unit at
> about the same money, or perhaps the Dacor Millennia Renaissance
> (MORS130) as a (significantly?) higher quality unit at ~$400 or so more
> each. * Has anyone here had experience with any of these - good or bad -
> or suggestions of other ovens?
>
> I've been looking at the DCS 36" 6 burner rangetop (CP366) sealed burner
> unit, since it seemed to be the least expensive of the high-end units
> (about $1K less than the Wolf (RT366 or SRT366), and (not as but still
> substantially) less than the others I've looked at). *I recently
> discovered that the BTU output on the big burners on the DCS are 15%-20%
> lower when running on LP than on natural gas - not sure how significant
> that is. *Also, I had the appliance expert at my kitchen contractor (who
> won't be getting a cut on the appliances, so has no dog in the fight)
> indicate that the DCS is her least favorite of the alternatives (well,
> she's apparently even less of a fan of Viking, but that wasn't in
> consideration). *Has anyone experience - again, good or bad - with the
> DCS and/or suggestions of alternatives. *Also, anyone with Wolf (or
> other higher priced spread) - do you think your unit is worth the extra
> money, and why? *Aesthetics counts for something - this is going to be a
> very expensive redo (by my standards, anyway) and I want it to look good
> - but cooking performance and cost effectiveness counts for more.
> Finally, all but Wolf seem to use only sealed burners these days (Wolf
> offers both open and sealed) - do people with experience with both have
> any strong preferences to offer?
>
> Lastly, the appliance place suggested a Best (Broan) K260A 42" hood with
> a 1200CFM fan. *I'm not sure how I feel about the looks of that, but my
> major concern is that it is loud - at max speed, Best indicates that it
> generates about 10 sones. *Even if I run it flat out only occasionally,
> [...]

If you can get a good price on a Jade Range cooktop... that would be
the way to go.

Also... if you can rework it so that you're using a range (ovens under
cooktop) you save $$$. Add the cooktop + two built in ovens + cabinet
work and prove it to yourself. There are less installation issues,
space efficiencies, and the exhaust system will also service the
ovens.

I know you said ovens are secondary but... Jade ovens are over-the-
top: infra-red broilers, serious convection capabilities.