Posted to rec.food.historic
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Happy Sliced Bread Day!

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 16 Jul 2009 04:58:40p, Arri London told us...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:21:15p, Arri London told us...

> >> I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me
> >> to use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!

> > LOL. Works fine for both bread and meat.
> >

> >> There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent
> >> bread for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in
> >> better supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread
> >> sliced somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal
> >> for making homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using
> >> various flavored butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy
> >> seeds, etc. I miss having that source. I could see the value of a
> >> slicer at home.
> >>

> > All my relatives have one. Would be strange for us not to have one.
> >
> > Used to live in Cleveland. Lot of good food there in the past. No idea
> > what it's like these days.

> Yes, there was a lot of good food in Cleveland, particularly European
> ethnic. I loved shopping at the West Side Market. I haven't been back
> since 2001. A lot could have changed since then.

Left before that. But yes the West Side Market is a classic. Saturday
afternoons was a great time to shop. Always got extra bits thrown in
since the Market was closed Sunday. Ahhhhh that wonderful Hungarian-type
sausage and butter and bacon and and and....

> I think I may be looking for a slicer in the near future...

Whatever one you choose, make certain it comes apart completely for
cleaning.