Posted to rec.food.cooking
Thechefkat Thechefkat is offline

Default picnic plan

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
>A week from Sunday we're having BYOE picnic for extended family.
>
> Our heard will be 14 including 5 little ones.
>
> I want to make a "Giant French loaf grilled veggie" sandwich
>
> I could just wing it but I was wondering if anyone had any great recipes
> for
> a sandwich or any other veggie picnic dish.
>
> I am planning on some cold fried or roast chicken as well.
>
> If possible little or no grilled eggplant.
>
> TIA.
>
> Dimitri

No 'herd' here but we like focaccia wedges. Easy to make ahead. I make up
a variety (roast beef, ham/Swiss, Italian, pepperoni pizza), label & freeze
for quick serving when needed. To date have only done up meat & cheese
ones. May dive into making the veggie one next.

VEGGIE FOCACCIA ... Slice off top of 10-12" round focaccia bread. Spread cut
sides with choice of sundried tomato or black olive tapenade, pesto,
cucumber-dill mayo, or flavored (onion-chive) cream cheese. Add grilled or
sautéed mushrooms, zucchini, red or sweet onions, bell peppers, etc. Season
as desired with pepper, salt, crushed basil, Italian seasonings, etc. Top
with fresh spinach & choice of mozzarella, provolone, Swiss or muenster
slices. Replace top & cut into 6-8 wedges. Wrap in no-stick foil to be
heated at the picnic on a grill till cheese melts. Can offer tomato,
lettuce, dill pickles, olives, Dijon, etc. as personal choice add ons.