Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Happy Sliced Bread Day!

On Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:21:15p, Arri London told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
>> > thing overall.
>> >

>> Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.
>>
>> I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but
>> with much wider slices.
>>

> Our Krups slicer has adjustable thickness for slices. We use it all the
> time for my homemade bread. The Maternal Unit likes it very thin, while
> my preference is for much thicker slices. Obviously it wasn't cheap but
> it's been in use for about 15 years if not more.

I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me to
use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!

There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent bread
for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in better
supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread sliced
somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal for making
homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using various flavored
butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy seeds, etc. I miss
having that source. I could see the value of a slicer at home.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers? Author Unknown