Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Auto Pulse Mode

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>
>> But it's a feature that would cost nothing to add.
>> I don't see any reason why it isn't already a standard
>> feature of food processors.
>>

> IMO, it is dumb. Some things you pulse longer than others so you have the
> option of doing as you see fit. And it would cost something to add the
> feature. One more thing to potentially break too.

Actually quite a few blenders (and other kitchen appliances) come with a
Pulse feature (I think most food processors) and it is not dumb, it's
actually quite useful. And the cycle time is entirely up to the user
because it is controlled by a simple spring loaded switch, whereas the
machine runs so long as the switch is held down and the machine stops when
the switch is released. My meat grinder has such a pulse switch for it's
reverse mode... a three position toggle switch; up is continuous run foward,
center is off, and held down is reverse but returns to stop when released.
So not only very useful for clearing a jam but is also a safety feature. My
Oster blender is fifty years old so doesn't have a pulse feature but often I
wish it did when mixing drinks with ice. I think all the modern high end
blenders have a pulse feature. With many modern appliances, even blenders,
they employ electronic touch pads, it's very rare that those fail. Btw, my
fifty year old Oster blender has a separate mechanical push button for each
of it's 8 speeds. I can change speed at any time while the machine is
running by pressing any of the other buttons whereas the other button will
pop up. I've never taken the machine apart to look inside at how this works
but obviously it's a mechanical device... in fifty years of pretty regular
use it has not failed. There is also a separate on/off toggle switch, would
have been nice if it incorparated the pulse feature like my grinder, perhaps
it can be, I'll have to contact Oster to ask if there's a retrofit.