Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default What to do with soft or overripe tomatoes....besides the obvious

Garland Grower wrote:
> ??
> I can do salsa and pasta sauce all day, any other suggestions?
> I have beautiful heirlooms, but more than we can sell and some get very soft
> very quickly.
>
> Rita
> Zone 7b-8a

You can always freeze them and use them in cooking later. Wash and dry
the tomatoes, put them in a ziploc bag and toss in freezer. When ready
to use take out of freezer and out of bag put in a colander over a large
bowl and allow to thaw at room temperature. The liquid runs out (useful
as stock for soups), the skins slip readily, and the flesh is ready to
cook with.