View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  

I think that we as parents need to be creative about this. I try a lot of different meals to find what my daughter likes and dislikes. Of course, I love to cook! I've found that she prefers raw veggies over cooked ones, so often I'll just give her a salad instead of the cooked veggie. She tends to really like noodles, chicken, cheese, pork, etc. So I try to use those in at least a few of the meals I cook each week. Talk to her and see what else she likes. Perhaps, she's like to dip her meat and veggies in something like ranch dressing.

I don't let her picky eating stop me from cooking what I want to cook, but I do try to keep in mind what she will and won't eat.

A lot of times kids take control over their eating habits, and what can you do besides try creative ways to encourage them to eat properly by fixing foods that are nutritious and foods you know they will eat. You really are in a losing battle when it comes to trying to force them to eat, if they don't want to, they won't.

Good Luck! Below is a recipe that my daughter (Queen of picky) loves to eat along side some cooked green peas or a salad.

Favorite Mac & Cheese:

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup milk
1 cup water
3 tbsp flour
cheese, grated (minimum 1 cup, usually cheddar)
2 cup noodles (ziti, elbow, etc)

Cook Noodles. Cook meat and veggies over med heat until meat is brown and crumbly and veggies are soft. Add flour and milk, then water. Simmer, stirring often until mixture is thickened. Once thick add noodles and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through.

(I normally add more than a cup of cheese, I just add it until it looks cheesy enough.)