Peter Dy

Default Cast Iron vs Carbon Steel

> wrote in message
[...]
These folks claim they love to cook with cast iron
> and own several different types of cast iron cookware but they came
> right out and said that the cast iron woks were terrible for stir
> frying!!! One man said his took too long to heat up and it stayed hot
> for too long after he was done cooking and the vegetables turned to
> mush!!! I don't see why they would if you remove them as soon as they're
> done cooking. I remove the food I cook in my carbon steel wok as soon as
> it's done and never have mush!

I think you are right. I think one might just have to adjust one's
stir-frying technique, just like one would have to do if switching from an
electric stove to a high-powered, restaurant quality gas stove.

Otherwise, I've never used a cast iron wok, so I have no personal
experiences to relate.

I'm hoping those of you who have ever
> used them will give me your honest opinions! I have searched the area I
> live in high and low and I finally found a camping store that has just 1
> left in stock. It's only $30 but I hate to throw money away that could
> better be used on something else

At Asian stores, they go for only US$10 or so. The 13-inch cast iron wok
they have on Amazon goes for $9.95.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...83130?v=glance

and while we're on the subject of woks,
> how about the aluminum anodized ones that cost anywhere from $50 to
> $150.What kind of results do they produce ????

I don't like them, mostly cause you don't season them. Food sticks easily,
and I don't like the interaction between the food and the metal--it doesn't
seem smooth.

Peter