Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default High altitude quiche

Being so high up, 7680ft, I'm having to relearn a lot of basic cooking
techniques that were no brainers at 150ft above sea level. One of my
favorite recipes is quiche, which mine is to die for. Anyway, my first two
were pretty bad. Took too long to cook and they were all dried out and
lifeless, like they'd sat in the desert for a few days. Yuk.

I finally got my quiche tweaked and it came out excellent. Moist, creamy,
yet firm, either warm or cool, and no weeping. Here's my basic custard wet
ingredient recipe for mile+ high quiche. I won't go into full detail, cuz
everyone should have at least one secret recipe and this is mine, but it
will give you an excellent custard base from which you can do your thing:

4 L eggs
8 oz whipping cream
3 T milk
3/4 C shredded cheese

Tips:

*Make sure meats/veggies have excess moisture sauteed out
*cheese amount is optimum, but 1 C won't hurt (you can mix types)
*I baked at 350 deg F for about 1hr
*If you don't live at high altitudes, leave out the milk
*Blind bake pie crust (I use frozen 9" deep dish)

Hope this helps some aspiring quiche makers.

nb