Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee
Chuck Olson Chuck Olson is offline

Default Air Pot for coffee

I recently found a container advertised for dispensing coffee called an "Air
Pot", typically manufactured by Bunn, Bloomfield or Wilbur Curtis. I'm
curious about the use of "Air" in the "Air Pot". The problem is, Bunn never
reveals how their Air Pot works. I guess they assume if you want one,
there's no need to explain. So I'm looking for someone who likes coffee so
much that he or she has found a 2 1/2 liter "Air Pot" to be useful, and
maybe explain to me how "air" is involved.

I theorize that these Air Pots dispense the coffee by pumping air into the
pot which forces the coffee out, or maybe the pot is pressurized with air
and when the spigot is turned, the coffee comes out - - but this is all
conjecture. Normally, I would just expect coffee to be in a pot with a
spigot at the bottom to let the coffee pour into a cup, but evidently an air
pot pumps the coffee out the top, instead of letting it out the bottom with
a spigot.

Anyone know how they work?

Thanks in advance

Chuck