Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bobo Bonobo® Bobo Bonobo® is offline

Default Coffee Extract

On Jun 28, 2:51Â*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> Lynne Rosetto Kasper mentioned it on The Splendid Table yesterday. Â*
> She's a fan. Â*Combine 1# ground coffee and 10-11 cups of cold water. Â*
> Let it sit on the counter overnight and next day, strain it and reserve
> the liquid. Â*Toss the grounds. Â*:-) Â*Add hot water to some to make a cup
> of coffee. Â*She says it's great where good coffee flavor is desired. Â*
> Not bitter, say she, because there's no heat involved in producing the
> extract.
>
> I used half a pound of Folger's (keep your smarmy remarks to yourself,
> eh?) ground coffee (French roast style) and 5 cups of water and did as
> she said. Â*
>
> I just made a cuppa by putting 1/3 cup of the extract in a cup and
> filled it with hot water from my Keurig coffee brewer (shaddap). Â*I
> think it was pretty strong and I had to bump up my usual amount of
> chocolate syrup and amaretto-flavor Coffeemate. Â* Shoot me. Â*It's pretty
> danged tasty. Â* Next time I'll try 1/4 cup of extract.

I heard that show too. You can't possibly expect *me* not to comment
on Folger's+Coffeemate. The only good thing I have to say is that at
least you're not polluting *decent* coffee with White trash Coffeemate
products. The whole business is is worse with you, because you know
better.
I know the reply to, "Life is too short to eat crappy foods like
Goddamned Coffemate," is, life is too short to care about the opinion
of some freakin' food snob, but jeez, Barb, I have the decency to keep
my food slumming to myself.

> We now return you to our regular scheduled programming; I'm making
> apricot butter and need to tend it. Â*Eat your hearts out €¹ this stuff is
> especially delicious.

I'd bet it is. The very other end of the spectrum from Coffeemated
Folger's.

I've been thinking of trying it with a lower end Sumatra (Java
Delight), which is what we usually buy.
http://www.supervalu-storebrands.com/brands.asp

They have lots of stores, perhaps one in your locale:
http://www.supervalu.com/sv-webapp/retail/retail.jsp

I use it to make cafe au lait, with a dash of half&half. You could
add http://www.disaronno.com/

Used as a flavoring, I'd bet it's not much more expensive than the
horrific CoffeeMate product, which is chockfull of transfats and HFCS.

> --
> -Barb

--Bryan