Old 26-06-2009, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Nanzi Nanzi is offline

Default Rice Flour!

On Jun 25, 6:04*pm, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq."
wrote:
Why has nobody mentioned this to me?

I bought & used my first 1 pound box of rice flour today. *I was
reaching for a 5 pound bag of "Gold Medal" white flower *and i saw next
to it a 1 pound box of rice flour, i didn't even really, consciously
think about it, i just grabbed the rice flour, didn't even look at an
ingredients label till after i had eaten some, that's all right though,
seems i inadvertently bought a prestige brand of rice flour

At the back of my mind i was reluctant to carry a 5 pound bag of white
flour around with me while i walked around & did some other shopping in
the local Asian shopping area.

I made a simple white sauce with it.

After sautéing in butter a couple of peeled & diced, precooked, baked
potatoes with a clove of crushed garlic i added a tbs. of the rice
flour, let it brown a bit and coat all the potatoes & mix with the
butter to form a roux & fond. *I then put in a cup of milk or so, let it
come to a nice thick sauce stage and tasted. *It is subtly superb. *And
with a specific, though very subtle taste i recall from many sauces in
many restaurants. *Much better than white flour for a sauce.

To finish this mornings sauce i put a half cup of grated sharp cheddar
in it to melt & mix in, needless to say, i am very pleased.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

I have started using it for lots of things. Fried Chicken is
wonderfully crispy, but cut the temp and increase the cooking time.
Rice flour burns more quickly than wheat flour.
Nan