Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. is offline

Default What is Americas NATIONAL food ?

Phil-c wrote:

> Go for it and cite any official source (perhaps sauce) .

Just off the top of my head i would think the traditional Thanksgiving
day dinner. Turkey, potatoes, corn all 'new world' foods. Even with
regional variations, yams & sweet potatoes in the south, tortillas in
the south west, various sea food additions in the north west & north
east, is still, never the less, distinctively American as roast beef is
English or pasta is Italian and frogs and snails French.

Im not sure if BBQ is an American invention (the social event yes, the
cooking probly not) but it would be on the list of possibilities,
however its tendency to be restricted, in the majority of its use, to a
specific segment of the American socio - economic class system does tend
to render it less than a nation wide phenomena.

I remember seeing an Australian t.v. commercial ( i forget what the
product was) but the punch line was the Queen of England ending up on
the 'barby' rather than having it prepared for her crown and all, as
some sort of indication that the English don't BBQ.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!