Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaich elaich is offline

Default Servers Strike Back -- Cell Phone Usage

George > wrote in -
september.org:

> Should we also have laws that we can't
> change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?

That is a completely different thing. The brain is capable of multitasking
in it's normal environment. We are surrounded by sounds that do not
distract us from what we are doing. Most people are able to drive while
talking to a passenger, changing the radio, etc.

A cellphone is completely different - the cellphone conversation demands
most of the brain's attention. I cannot count the number of times I've seen
cellphone impaired drivers do absolutely mindnumbingly stupid things.

And, yes, they are impaired. A University of Utah study found that the
average person when talking on a cellphone is as impaired as if they have
had three drinks. That will put you over the limit in most states.